I am thrilled to be part of the launch of the new-and-improved Online Beacon! Sincere congratulations to the 2013 Editorial Board for your teamwork and your collaborative journalism skills that contributed so fully to the quality and timeliness of this launch. Keep up the good work! I look forward to submitting monthly column about activities and educational issues at TCSH and in the world, and happy that my first column is part of the great new 2013 version of the Online Beacon.

I am finding it hard to believe that I have been at TCSH less than three months. It has already altered my life in so many ways, and the students and staff members I have met have been so open and welcoming and generous, that it is completely“under my skin” … I have enjoyed observing the strong work ethic and commitment that so many students bring to their college studies. I have enjoyed observing how dedicated the teaching staff is, to improving their ability to create passionate and lifelong learners among their students, as well as guiding them in the achievement of their academic goals. I loved getting to know more than 100 of our student leaders, and some of our dedicated Admin staff, at the Dusun Eco Leadership Camp! I was blown away by the small but amazing committee that put together the first ever Incitement Youth event in Malaysia, at TCSH on February 28th, and whose members continue to be invested in the growth of this positive movement. I love it when students drop in to my office to talk about anything, even if it’s to bring me a challenging problem. I love saying good morning at the front door. I love having so many students and staff members as my new FB friends (and real friends). I look forward to traveling to Cambodia with the IB students, to being a participant in the staff yoga class, and to being a staff adviser for both the Dance team and the Jog For Hope committee and a member of the Music club, and seeing what adventures those roles bring to me.

I have lots of other ideas for things I would like to do at TCSH with students.
  • - I would like to start a“homework club” that meets once a week for an hour or two after school to work on homework together. I would help attendees with as many math and science questions as I could, and help with brainstorming ideas, wording of answers, or editing of essays for any and all subjects.
  • - I would like to start an“Inspirational Videos” club that shows a half-hour’s worth of video clips once a week.
  • - I would like to work out the details of a recycling plan for TCSH that would have all of us reducing the amount of garbage we produce by re-using and  recycling as much as possible.
  • - I want to help some of the CAL and SAM students benefit from the good ideas we have received as the result of being an IB World School – maybe by providing the opportunity for all of our students to monitor their Creativity – Action – Service hours, and /or gather evidence in a meaningful way of aspects of the learner profile that they demonstrate.

I would like to share with you the following words of Judy Ng, a TC graduate in 1971. I find it surprising how relevant these words remain, over 40 years later! How can we, together, put some things in place to ensure that TCSH continues to push the boundaries and provide positive and rewarding learning adventures and prospects for our students well into the future? I look forward to sharing ideas with you through this column and in the halls of TCSH. Let me know if you like any of my ideas for the future, and/or if you would like to share a few of your own … Thank you for the privilege of being your principal. 

“Being a Taylor’s student is, in itself, a new adventure to most of us. The new teaching aids and methods, the new independence we experience, the fact that this is one of the very few coeducational institutions where the minority females are striving to be equal to their male counterparts in all fields, above all, the prospects of going abroad to familiarise with a totally different way of life,all these are indeed both frightening and exciting. Certainly we are not going abroad only to gain academic knowledge. We are some of the thousands of ambassadors of our country. It is an undeniable fact that the surge of Asian students who are going abroad to study is one of the most remarkable features of our age. It is thus vital to bear in mind that the image we make or un-make of ourselves and of our country is the outcome of our personal conduct and attitude, whether we are rightly or wrongly proud of our heritage and traditions.” (Judy Ng in the College Magazine 1971, quoted in Ted Miles’ Only Yesterday, Taylor’s College The First 25 Years)

Ms.Lauren became the principal of Taylor’s College Sri Hartamas in January 2013.She writes a weekly column called “Principal’s Corner” which is published on the student portal and on a TCSH Facebook page every Monday morning. She will also be writing this monthly column for the Beacon Online.










BY LAUREN WILSON